I’m delighted to announce the launch of Digital Technology Labs Limited – we have incorporated the company and we are now a limited company. I wanted to take the opportunity to say that I am so proud to take DTL to the next level – from starting as a sole trader in 2015, and now starting as a new limited company.
A big thank you
I’ve learnt that the most important this is the people you work with and the clients you provide services too. I’d like to say thank to all these people and say we couldn’t have done it without them.
Why we’re here
Digital Technology Labs Limited is a boutique web design agency, or group of creatives, with a various mixture of backgrounds in creative, design, technology, IT, project management, and videography, etc. We’re passionate about technology, about beautiful design, but most of all about impactful relationships with people. We believe that we are here to counteract entropy; to bring order and beauty into this world. It’s a constant struggle but one we can help with.
What we can do for you
We know how much time it takes to run a business, and if your website is not your core business; how are you going to find the time you need to continually update your website, keeping it fresh, writing blog posts, sharing content and engaging on social media, and doing digital advertising? Not to mention SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) – the art of performing well in search engine search results, for example helping people to find you on Google.
So, we can help take the pain away from this, and give back your precious time.
And more so, do you have the time to protect your site from security threats, keeping all the software up-to-date, protecting against hack attacks; and do you have someone you can turn to if the worse-case scenario happened, for example if you were infected with malware or someone deleted your whole website? Let us take away these worries and protect you and your website.
How we go about doing this
You can find more details on our website or by reaching out to us; but we offer two separate on-going packages; a monthly Hosting & Security protection package, and a monthly Website freshness package. Hosting and security will keep your site on-line, stable, with great up-time, and protected against many threats – with someone to turn to if it was to go wrong. The website freshness package is all about keeping your content up-to-date to speak to your customers. It’s about helping you author great content; and curate and share this content on social media. And more so it’s about getting up the search engine rankings, and marketing or advertising your website online.
Through Digital Technology Labs you will be assigned an account manager who you will have access to via email and a direct phone line. They will deal with most day-to-day queries and jobs. Anything that they can’t do for you will be escalated to our team of web design and web development experts. If there’s something we can’t do we’ll let you know, and we’ll do our best to find someone that can do it for you.
A case study
A lovely case study for a wonderful company; Kingstons Financial, they have provided excellent wealth management services, are really great and impressive themselves, and have a beautiful logo, brand and marketing material. But there was a problem, they had an outdated and somewhat broken website. So much so that they were embarrassed to share it with clients.
This was a result of not having enough time or domain knowledge to fix it themselves, and they didn’t have the right trusted partner to build a new one for them. When I was introduced to Kingstons Financial I listened and empathised, and showed them the EMGa Architect website we had built, which they loved. The initial process culminated in a wireframe mock-up of the site, to show the structure and content. I then rendered various versions of the home page with the look and feel based on the EMGa Architect website.
When the team at Kingstons were happy with the structure, and look and feel, we went into the build. There are some lovely finessed touches like the google maps in the same branded colour scheme as the rest of the site, and some subtle use of textual watermarks, great photography, and some nice simple use of parallax.
But the launch of the website is only the start of the journey, and we’re now working together on a monthly basis to ensure the upkeep of the website, for example the work we did recently around ensuring GDPR compliance.
However, don’t take our word for it, here is what they say about the project:
“The website looks beautiful! Kevin listened to our ideas and created a bespoke solution that does exactly what we asked for. He took the time to listen and gave great advice on changes to get the result we wanted. His aftercare service is also very responsive and fulfils a need we have of keeping it up-to-date without having to start again every couple of years. Our thanks to the whole DTL team from the team at Kingstons”
The current website can be seen here: Kingstons Financial.
Common questions about our service offering
- One common question is that will sites, such as Wix where people can build their own websites, put you out of business? I would argue that yes, the potential to create a great website with one of these tools makes it a possability. But it still requires that person to have the skills and domain knowledge to be able to do it. And most of all they need the time. A basic website takes at least several hours to produce, and wouldn’t that time be better spent working directly on your own products and services?
- How much do we cost? Though we have some prices on our website, these are indicative only. We prefer to work closely with each client to understand their requirements in full. In that way we can construct a project for an investment that will achieve the results you are after, at a price point we aim for you to be able to afford.
- Do you do marketing strategy, SEO strategy and Digital Marketing strategy? We work with you to implement these strategies and can provide guidance, but we advise to have a marketeer build this strategy for you; and then we can implement that strategy on your behalf. Alternatively, if you know what you want to do, then great, we can help you directly!
What we’ve learned from starting a business
Enough about the why, the what and the how. I want to open up the bonnet and do a bit of exploration on what we’ve learned from starting a business. There’s a humungous amount that we’ve learnt, and I hope some of it will be valuable to you.
Our top tips for starting an starting a company
I thought I’d give some advice that I have developed over the course of starting a business.
- Have great software to run your company. With a lot of trial and error we now have an awesome bank, financial/bookkeeping software, and a tool that allows us to run our our entire project management and work scheduling portfolio smoothly – this has taken a long time and is worth the investment, we will talk about this in a separate blog post.
- Always have terms and conditions. Period.
- Never, I repeat never do any work without an official quote with T&Cs, or a fully worked contract.
- You and your team members deserve to be treated with respect at all times, and when suppliers or clients cross that line, a zero-tolerance approach should be taken.
- Find the right work-life balance. Starting a business is a LOT of hard work, but it’s important that the majority of it is enjoyable, and when the going gets hard, take time out to look after yourself. For example, go running, read a book, go for a walk, etc. Balancing your energy by not working constantly is absolutely key. We will talk more about this in a separate blog post.
Hopes for the future
- To build DTL into a sustainable business, and expand the number of freelancers and employees we have.
- To continue to give back to the community by doing work for charities, but also to do more work experience placements, and eventually to offer an apprenticeship scheme.
- To continue to grow the brand and make it recognisable in our target geographical areas.
- To foster a work environment, full of passion, enthusiasm, and humility. And never to treat anyone, either inside or outside the organisation, with disrespect.
We’re also planning on running an exciting competition soon – so watch this space.
Director and Founder